Um Er You Know presents the Toastmasters Club Website of the Month award for 2010-July to ….
This is a quality website for a quality club. The site deserves this award because it has some great examples of how to do things right. Below are some comments and suggestions for consideration to make the site even better – at least better in my opinion! Please feel free to comment below ….
***** Good stuff: I like the organization and layout of the site, the navigation is easy to find and use and is consistent throughout the site.
– Homepage link: “to learn more about Toastmasters International, click here” – the “click here” link directs to a different website. You might want to have this link open a new window/tab so that users do not leave your site. The same is true for the “Club Status” link in the navigation menu.
– Images: More images throughout the site would make the site more appealing. Best would be authorized images of members of your club “in action.”
– Inconsistent type size: On your sample agenda page, the first section ( President 7:00) is a smaller font size than the rest.
– When I mouseover the menu buttons, the white font on blue background is barely visible, a darker color for mouseover would be better.
🙁 🙁 Broken Links:
– On the Officers list page the names are links, but nothing happens when they are clicked on. Either make the links work in all browsers or removed the link formatting.
– On the Gallery the first link (in 2009) goes to a page which no longer exists
— For the members area, it would be better to have a regular web page to log in (rather than a little pop-up window) because when I’m unable to log in (click cancel), it takes me to a “page not found”. Same with the Videos link – but this is more important since people without a login may try “Videos” and get trapped.
**** Readability/Accessibility (14/15) –Your “Guests” page is a little disorganized. Perhaps adding details about visiting, proving “prospective members” with the application, etc. would be good. Very helpful would be a separate FAQ page for all of the answers to other questions.
– Freshness issues – The top banner looks like it was made with a simple paint program. You could get a graphic designer to make a snappy one for $5 on an outsourcing website and make it look more professional/attractive.
– Originality – This website looks pretty standard and straightforward. It’s great in that it is easy to navigate and use, but by adding a few images and perhaps a subtle background style it could be made more visually provocative and appealing.
***** I like that the site uses language which makes it feel very friendly and easy to read. The grammar and spelling looks great.
**** Overall a well designed, easy to use website. Could be a bit more “spicy/jazzy” and what it does it does well.
Nominate your club website or a club website you like for the next Toastmaster Club Website of the Month!